Medical Office Assistant
Get specialized training in medical terminology, healthcare administration and clinical knowledge to help you succeed in a career as a healthcare professional.
About The Program
A comprehensive diploma which covers medical terminology, pharmacology, medical office and clinical administrative procedure, anatomy and physiology, and more.
As a graduate of the Medical Office Assistant program at triOS, you may find employment in a variety of medical administrative settings including offices for doctors’ and specialists’, hospitals, clinics, health and wellness centres, dental offices, and long-term care facilities. Other employment opportunities as a medical office assistant can include employment with insurance agencies, pharmaceutical companies, medical sales organizations and government facilities.
Employers Who Have Hired triOS Grads
- Grand River Hospital
- Hamilton Community X-ray & Diagnostic
- Toronto General Hospital
- Region of Waterloo
- Living Arts Medical Centre
- Hamilton General Hospital
- Canadian Red Cross
- Hand and Stone
*Employment Rate based on 2019 contactable triOS graduates employed in a related field.
NOC Code: 1243, 1414 - **Wage data based on NOC Code 1414 and rounded down to the nearest dollar. Local (or regional) income may vary. Last updated in May, 2021.
Medical Office Assistants (MOA) are an integral part of the Canadian healthcare system. They support doctors, nurses, and all other healthcare professionals with essential administrative support. With healthcare funding being one of the highest investments in the Canadian economy, pursuing a career in this sector is a great choice for your future.
If you are an organized individual, enjoy helping others and are looking to get established in a steady, in-demand profession in a short amount of time, then the Medical Office Assistant diploma program at triOS College could be an excellent opportunity for you.
What sets the Medical Office Assistant diploma program at triOS College apart from any other college?
triOS students gain comprehensive medical administrative knowledge, which includes medical terminology, pharmacology, medical office and clinical administrative procedure, anatomy and physiology.
triOS students participate in a unique human anatomy workshop experience at a globally-recognized academic facility hosted by one of Canada’s top ranked universities. This workshop is cadaver based giving triOS students the unique experience of applying what they have learned in 3D – it covers systems within the human body including: Digestive / Respiratory / Cardiovascular / Muscular / Skeletal / Neurological
Students enrolled in this program will receive:
- 1-month internship.
- CPR/First Aid Training.
- Training on PS Suite EMR (Canada’s Premier EMR provider) and MD Max.
- Software subscriptions for Microsoft Office and Windows included.
Topics covered in this program include:
- Medical terminology and transcription
- Validating health cards, patient filing methods and record keeping
- Healthcare law and PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act)
- Processing test results, performing urinalysis
- Medicine, ethics and cultural competence
- Medical office reception, customer service, patient registration and scheduling
- Provincial and federal health governing bodies
- Understanding OHIP billing, Insurance and WSIB claims processing
- Aseptic technique and infection control
- First Aid and CPR
- Measuring and Recording vital signs
- Clinical assisting and preparation of exam rooms
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Understanding an electronic health record (EHR) and electronic medical record (EMR)
Pathology and Pharmacology
Intermediate Accounting (using QuickBooks)
Medical Office Assistant Clinical Procedures
Medical Office Assistant Internship (100 hrs)
Anatomy, Physiology and Terminology
CPR and First Aid
Introduction to Accounting (using Sage 50)
Customer Service and Practice Administration
Introduction to Medical Transcription
– High school graduation diploma, or Mature Student Status (for more information please refer to the Program Outline at the top of this page or speak to your Education Consultant)
– Passing score in Entrance Assessment
– Demonstrated fluency in English (oral and written)